On 17 May 2016, dealmakers and investors from the international biopharmaceutical industry will come together in Munich with Europe’s leading life-science researchers, entrepreneurs and technology transfer professionals to initiate partnerships for the development of high-potential academic projects. BTO and 12 further technology transfer organisations from across Europe will present a total of 40 peer-selected technologies, including innovative diagnostic and therapeutic approaches, as well as platform technologies, originating from 32 research institutes and universities in eight European nations.
BTO introduces PKU treatment
BTO will be attending the conference and introduce a chaperon based treatment of Phenylketonuria (PKU). PKU is an incurable metabolic disease that affects in average 1:10,000 newborns, and is the most common inborn error of metabolism. At least 500,000 people in the world today are living with PKU. Researchers at the University of Bergen have developed a “first in class” drug candidate based on a novel technology giving a pharmacological chaperone-based treatment with the potential to restore the native enzymatic activity of the patient´s own dysfunctional PAH. The medication is based on an approach that has not previously been applied in the treatment of the disease and that has a potential to allow 50% PKU patients to live normal lives free from dietary constrains. Read more about the project «Chaperon based treatment of Phenylketonuria».
Key features of BioVaria
- Unique gathering of Europe’s top scientists, technology transfer professionals, investors and industry representatives.
- Presentation of more than 50 licensable technologies and spin-offs originating from public research institutions and universities across Europe.
- Focus on patent-protected, commercially attractive opportunities covering therapeutics, diagnostics and research tools in the fields of cancer, infectious diseases, metabolism, autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders, and in other disease areas.
- Interactive, efficient one-day format combining 10-min oral presentations with an all-day poster exhibition.
- Spin-off Panel presenting promising European life-science start-ups.
- Ample space to discuss scientific details face-to-face with the inventors.
BioVaria 2016 is organised by Ascenion and its partners. Full program is available here.